If you are unfamiliar with Classical Education and the Trivium and want to learn more, click this link to The Trivium page.
Why teach the Classics?
In answer to that question, the Blackburn Study Center wrote a letter to its own parents and tutors shortly after its inception in 2001. You can read it here.
And finally, a question that often comes to us is one that asks why classical educators insist upon instruction in a “dead” language such as Latin. Here is an outstanding response to that question. Another concern is whether students entering Gideon will be able to pick up with the language if it has not been studied previously. Latin camps are the answer! Incoming new-to-Latin students will have the opportunity each summer to be exposed to the previous text’s material during a weeklong camp in fun and exciting ways. The 2012 camp information will be posted here when it is finalized.
Course offerings for 2015-2016
- 2nd grade: Saxon Math, Song School Latin, Language Arts (Literature, Institute for Excellence in Writing, Shurley Grammar 2, Spelling), Veritas History (Explorers – 1815), Apologia Science Exploring Creation, Flying Creatures
- Grammar/3rd-4th grade: Saxon Math, Latin for Children A, Language Arts (Literature, Institute for Excellence in Writing, Shurley Grammar 4, Veritas History (Explorers – 1815), Apologia Science Exploring Creation, Flying Creatures
- Upper Grammar/5th-6th grade: Saxon Math, Latin for Children C OR English from the Roots Up; Language Arts (Literature, Classical Composition, Shurley Grammar 7), Veritas History (Explorers – 1815), Apologia Science Exploring Creation, Flying Creatures
- Dialectic/7th-8th grade: Algebra 1, Latin Alive 2 OR PSAT/SAT Prep, Omnibus (History & Literature, Explorers – 1815) Classical Composition, Apologia Science Exploring Creation — Physical Science, Introductory Logic
- Pre-Rhetoric/9th-11th grade: Geometry, Omnibus (History & Literature, Explorers – 1815) Classical Composition, Geometry, Apologia Science Marine Biology, Introductory Logic
Book Lists for 2015-2016 TBA
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd & 4th Grade
- 5th & 6th Grade
(If you do not have one, you may download a free PDF reader to view these documents.)
[Current Gideon families are reminded that all pertinent and up-to-date “housekeeping” documents are kept at the Gideon Wiki. Classroom related documents and information can be found at the Gideon Engrade page.]
- Meet our tutors
- For teachers interested in becoming tutors at Gideon Study Center, a tutor application in interactive PDF format can be found on our downloads page. To submit an application, click on the contact button to your right and request the physical address to which applications should be mailed.